Welcome to Winthrop House
Winthrop House is named for two John Winthrops. The first John Winthrop came to America in 1630 and served as the leader of the Massachusetts Bay Company and the first Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony for 16 years. The second John Winthrop. (AB 1732), a descendant of Governor Winthrop, was the Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy and was highly regarded as the first American astronomer also serving as President of Harvard in 1773.
The House crest is the Winthrop family coat of arms – a lion on a shield with three chevrons in the background. Appropriately, the House mascot is a lion.
Winthrop House boasts many famous alumni including President John F. Kennedy who resided in Gore Hall. His suite is utilized for special university guests and a speakers series and frequent tours to underscore his commitment to public service.
Today, Winthrop House has three main buildings Standish Hall, Gore Hall and Beren Hall, which opened in 2017 as part of the House renewal program. Stunning new spaces and accessible Common Rooms, Dining Hall and Library afford students a gracious and welcoming living and learning environment.
We're a community of over 400 students, led by Faculty Deans Stephen Chong and Kiran Gajwani; Allston Burr Resident Dean Linda Chavers; House Administrator Paris Sanders; Academic Coordinator Sarah Caughey; a group of dedicated Resident Tutors; Faculty Dean Aides and staff; and a talented and vibrant House Committee (HoCo).
- For weekday emergencies (8am-6pm), call the office at 617-495-2296. After hours, reach the Tutor on Call: 617-872-9911
- Harvard University Health Services (HUHS): 617-495-5711
- Office of Sexual Assault Prevention & Response (OSAPR) 24-hour crisis and support hotline: 617-495-9100
- Harvard Police (HUPD): 617-495-1212
- Facilities After-Hours*: 617-495-5560
- Guidance to Undocumented Members of Our Community and 24/7 Hotline for DACA/Undocumented Community Members: 857-242-6755
*Non-emergency maintenance requests (repairs to leaky faucets, clogged showers, poor water pressure or defective lights) can all be submitted online using this form.